A delicate, slightly coppery, pink. The first nose is floral, elegant, and finely fruity, with aromas of pink grapefruit and vine peach. Touches of dried fruit and grilled almond evolve towards patisseries (brioche…) and lightly toasty notes. Diaphanous, with tremendous enthusiasm, Champagne ER2 opens after airing, developing more complex notes of spices, preserved lemon zest, mandarin, and white peach. The mouth is ample, with slightly buttery notes that are perfectly balanced by the freshness of citrus and fresh hazelnut, leading to a soaring finish of great persistence, underlined by a magnificently chalky minerality.
ER2 is characterized by the intensity that is the signature of the Grand Crus of the Côte des Blancs and by the complexity of its perpetual reserve. This second edition, made up of 75% of Chardonnays of different ages, benefits from the richness of the 2012 vintage and the perfect balance of the 2014 vintage that occupies a prominent place in the heart of an intensified perpetual reserve. The remaining 25% of young Pinot Noirs from the terroir of Vertus energize the delicate mineral, saline, and iodized expression of the Chardonnay and heighten the wine’s aromatic expression. Thanks to the Perrin family’s skills in Provence Rosé, it reveals an incomparable hue of sublime brilliance resulting from an elegant extraction of color by infusion. The density, balance, and persistence of ER2 are expressions of the magic of an outstanding Rosé champagne from noble terroirs, born from unique wine making choices.
The wine is aged on lees in the dark in our cellars for three years.
Chardonnay 75% – Pinot Noir 25%. This edition has been made from a base of the 2017 vintage. Disgorged in April 2021. Dosage: 4.5 G/L.
This project comes from the association of three families: Jolie-Pitt, Perrin, and Péters (from Maison Pierre Péters).
The Péters family, established in Le Mesnil-sur-Oger, is internationally renowned for its Champagne, and especially the blanc de blancs style, which it has made from its own grapes since 1919.
‘Fleur de Miraval is the culmination of five years of work, research and tasting, done in the utmost secrecy,’ said Rodolphe Péters, who today runs his family’s 20-hectare (50-acre) estate, of which around 16 hectares (40 acres) lie in grand cru vineyard sites. It is composed of 75% Chardonnay and 25% Pinot Noir.
In Champagne, there are two ways of producing rosé; either by adding a small proportion of red wine to the blend or by letting juice remain in contact with the skin of the grapes for a short time during fermentation.
This latter method, which is less common and is called rosé de saignée, is the technique used for this Champagne. It is the same method used to produce Provence rosé at Miraval.
“Our choices for our Champagne quickly turned towards the noble autolytic aromas of Chardonnay – almond, hazelnut, an elegant butteriness – all supported by superb tension and incredible freshness,” said Rodolphe Péters. Famille Perrin picks up the story, “We wanted to focus on the complexity of fully ripe Chardonnay, of brioche and butter, while at the same time giving the Champagne a lift by combining it with a young Pinot Noir. There was no question of choosing a Pinot Noir that was too opulent or vinous. It needed to add tension, vivacity and freshness, as well as color. That’s why we chose our Pinot Noir from the village of Vertus, also located in the Côte des Blancs.”